Did you know that Holland is one of the most advanced country in terms of Social Media? The twitter and Linkedin penetration is one the highest in the world…almost everyone is on Linkedin or uses Twitter when considering the total work force.
Deloitte in the Netherlands has around 4.600 employees and a hiring target for 2010/2011 of 1.000 people…
The labor market in Holland is quite a difficult one for the employer…so approximately only 10% of the workforce is looking for a new job (which entails people without a job and people with a job!!).
Lennart Sloof is the manager of Online employer marketing at Deloitte so when he arrived at Deloitte 3 years ago, he had to address this issue.
Even in crisis time, it is difficult for Deloitte NL to find good people…especially in a tight labor market.
Lennart is part of a whole team called “E-recruitment team” made of online marketing and online employer branding people which supports the recruitment team at Deloitte.
Which strategy for Deloitte?
For Deloitte (and I agree more and more with this), recruitment is shifting more towards internet marketing, content management and measuring traffic to your career site/page.
1) Help to fill the roles at Deloitte and reach the target of 1.000 new hires in 2010/2011
2) Develop a strong employer brand which attracts the “right” candidates for Deloitte
3) Drive traffic to their career website to create a funnel of candidates and supports the employer brand
Career website = probably one of the best I have seen so far
In this section, I would like to (once again) remind everyone that a solid strategy on the internet starts with a great career website.
And that is what they did…they built a career website by themselves in November 2009 called in Dutch, working at Deloitte. And this website sits completely outside of Deloitte corporate website.
I must say that for me, they built something a lot of companies could take example of…amazing in the integration with social media, content management, geolocation, contacts…
Putting their career website at the center, you can tell they invested a lot of time, energy and money in it.
1) They categorised the website in 3 categories: Students, Young professional and Professional
So they address different questions and provide different content depending on who you are…
It is interesting to note that they target students even before they are graduated.
2) The career website is very dynamic…not so many pictures or videos though
A dynamic site with an animation on the homepage.
Design is quite simple but they have not used so many pictures or videos…
On all pages, they also have testimonials from current employees.
3) A real sense of human feeling: in touch with the recruiters!
Recruitment staff created their own profiles on the social media sites to help them create communities which will communicate with potential employees of the future. “Being part of the Deloitte NL community means end users gain a better understanding and connection with us and ultimately feel it is an organisation that they would like to be a part of, “says Lennart.
On the website, each recruiter has a profile, a short bio and even more unusual, you can tell when they are online or offline if you want to have a live chat with them. It displays also their direct phone numbers and email addresses!!!
4) Content and contact are king
The most impressive part is the integration with Social Media and the use of content…the first thing you see is the latest article from the blog, and the content is key in their strategy. They produce, manage and use content at the heart of their career website.
The content is either produced by the team or by employees from Deloitte…They managed to recruit 12 employees as blog writers
In all the pages you navigate through, you will find this small icon…which contains all the contacts of the recruiters and profiles, the social networks where they are, a general email address…
They are easy to find and you can put a face with a name.
On the Vacancy section, they have introduced something quite original…you can see on a map where the jobs are…geolocation on a google map! Funny and interactive!
A website simple with a lot of content (good for SEO) and where the contacts are easy to make and personal…with a fully integrated social media strategy.
Employer branding and Social Media?
They really engaged with employees through social media to generate content and a good buzz.
1) The first one is the blogging side where they look for bloggers within Deloitte to write about what they do or what they feel like.
They look also for employees of Deloitte on Twitter and ask them if they can have their twitter flow displayed on Deloitte career website.
2) The second example comes from a contest they ran with the employees on social media.
They asked the employees to support their new campaign for employer branding aimed at students!
Photo with theme “spot the green spot” (relating to Deloitte logo where there is a green spot)
Upload via mobypicture.com
Use the hashtag #beginneersthier
Winner needs 1.000 views or more and shows creativity
Results: 55 photos uploaded and 15.500 views within 5 weeks
They leveraged their social media activities, engaged with internal employees and generated some buzz…
They posted the contest on Facebook, Twitter and communicated about it!
What about their presence on the “normal” social media platforms??
The role of their career website is so important in their strategy and the content they produce…that I won’t dwell too much on what they did exactly on Facebook, Hyves (the Dutch equivalent for Facebook), Twitter and Linkedin.
Overall they engage a lot and put their content out…
– Twitter is used to post jobs and events and alert people to new blog posts. The strength of their Twitter presence lies in the fact that all recruiters have a twitter account…and tweet as well.
– Facebook focuses on potential candidates. The company is making contact with passive candidates this way by sharing knowledge, building a relationship and keeping them informed.
The Facebook page has something that I found really good is the big thumb up..mimicking the image of the “like” button.
– LinkedIn is used to source higher quality candidates. The recruitment team can search for professionals by looking at their network and recommendations. It also posts vacancies on LinkedIn.
– You Tube is used as a way to communicate their employees testimonials…good but nothing particular…video is not an are they have really focused on.
Analyse and Results
For Deloitte team…they wanted to prove that you can measure results and they did it!
They simply used Google analytics and they integrated it with their ATS to measure where their candidates are coming from, how much it takes, the conversion rate between traffic/applications and jobs.
First the traffic, the figures speak for themselves!
They built this new website from scratch and now they largely outstrip in term of traffic the old website built on Deloitte corporate website.
Now where did the traffic come from?
There is 234% more traffic coming from Social Media than from the other sources mainly job boards!
And what about the costs of Recruitment?
And the cost for using Recruitment agencies has dropped significantly even though they are hiring around 1.000..and likewise for the money invested in job boards…there is a clear switch!!!
– I think that, by getting away from the corporate website, they managed to really do what they wanted with the career website
– Content is king in their strategy…a lot of content generated by employees…they can dispatch it afterwards all across their social media venues
– they created a real human feeling with personal bios, photos…and easy ways to contact and connect with them…it is the humanization of the recruitment process….something I strongly believe in
– They did some fun and interactive actions like the employer branding campaign or the geolocation map to find where the jobs are exactly
– Direct hires through Social Media represent only 2% of their hires but the indirect benefits of Social Media are much better (traffic, employer branding…)
And by the way, check out the Link Humans open social recruiting and LinkedIn workshops on our training page.